Thursday, February 19, 2009

A loooonnng story...

Hi all! So much to tell! First of all, if you are reading this, you will need to be doing a happy dance -- no, seriously. Those platelets that we have been waiting so long for to get back up there in numbers jumped from 103,000 to 136,000. Come on, happy dance for me, baby!!! (for those at the school reading this in front of Mollie's office - give her a knock and show her for me - there may be a prize for the best happy dance - I'll let her be the judge) Once I get them above 150,000 then they will move my plasma treatments to every other day to see how I tolerate it and if my numbers will hold. Once I get there and I hold, I am coming home! I can go to Wenatchee for dialysis if my kidneys haven't kicked back in fully.

So to catch up on the last week during dialysis I started having chest pain and tightness and random muscle spasms. Fearing heart issues, I received Nitro, an EKG followed by a chest x-ray which all showed my heart was clear. The bad news about Nitro...you know immediately when it works because it is like someone is taking an ice pick and jamming it in your head. But that also leads to the good news...once the ice pick is inserted, you know it's working. Everything settled and I was good for the night. At 6 AM I woke with a splitting headache and started seeing a flashing light bar in the middle of my vision. As time passed, the light bar got bigger and bigger. Eventually, when the lights would go away, my vision was blocked within that area. I am was seeing only half of a face. Soooo, they sent me down for an MRI and eye exam. They thought that I had had a stroke and decided it was time to take drastic measures to get my too high blood pressure down. Turns out, it wasn't a stroke. I developed a syndrome called PRES Syndrome. Another very rare syndrome that my body decided to invite along for the ride. I still have some really minor vision issues, but the best news is it is reversible. It will just take time for the areas in my brain to heal. Because of this, I was sent back to the ICU for a very specific night of blood pressure meds to get the blood pressure under control! They also then decided that all of the excess fluid was not doing me any good and they needed to get it off. So within a week, I have lost 60 lbs! Talk about chicken legs! I will continue my dialysis on MWF's to keep the fluids off and support my kidneys that are trying to work.

a bit later...
My labs are back finally for today and they have held strong. My platelets held at 133,000 but such a small amount of change can be explained simply by lab days. Sooooo......yipppeeeee! Happy dance!!!!!! Everything else is still great and my blood pressure is holding steady in the 120's over 70's ish. Life is good.

I had an incredible weekend with my three boys! Doug braved Saturday night at my house and got the boys up Sunday and out the door to me. I got done with my treatment at about the same time they got here. It was a beautiful day outside so we ordered Thai food and went for a picnic. My mom and dad sent a fun box of toys and treats for us to enjoy. The wood gliders were the big hit -- especially fun when they get stuck in trees and we get to watch Doug climb and save the day. It couldn't have been a more perfect day. Alicia and Mark met Doug and took the boys down to their house for a sleepover with their cousins. It was so good to see them have so much fun for the weekend. I miss them so much and am so blessed by all of the people who are helping with them and making their lives so good in this terrible situation. I miss you all and can't wait to come home. Thank you for your help on that end with my precious loves.

This week has been wonderful, thank heaven. It is hard to believe it is almost the weekend again. Hope you enjoy yours. On to next week....

Oh, I have been asked about the address here:

Lannette Yorgason
University of Washington Medical Center
7 NE Room 7206
1959 NE Pacific Street
Seattle, WA 98195

Miss you all.
Hugs and love,
Lannette

4 comments:

  1. Great news! But that does not sound like the diet plan I would sign up for! :) Take care!
    Michelle Rogge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news!!! I hit refresh on this page every time I walk by the computer. I'm so happy!!! :-) Soren has been having a fantastic week. I think he really needed some Mama time because he's been so relaxed and happy this week. I love you and I'm still sending up those special thoughts...you know the ones. <3 CA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear you're doing better! I hope you get to go home soon! You are SO loved!
    Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers,
    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOM NEWS!!! I'll send my happy dance vibes to you!! Can't wait for the post that says your home!!hugs! Celeste

    ReplyDelete