Saturday, February 7, 2009

A happy Saturday at least I think it's Saturday....

All signs of terrible weekend shows tell me it is. Another week has passed and I can hardly believe it! Good news...the numbers we want to be going down are and the numbers we want coming up are. I think it has more to do with the fact that Doug got here yesterday but I will let the doctors believe it is all them! I'll let you know how the weekend continues. I am trading out my plasma right now - still a daily event - and back to dialysis M, W and F. I realize I haven't let you know what these two events feels like for my body.

Plasma - Basically, you know when you are on an incredible roller coaster and you get right up to the very edge of a fall, just right there before you drop and you swear your head will explode and your heart is preparing itself to pummel through our feet before rebounding to the top of your head and then back into its proper location? Well, imagine being suspended right there at the top for 2-3 hours and basically you will have sat through plasma with me. I shake from the pumping of the machinery as it draws out my blood and pumps it back in, but I try to imagine all of the goodness of some precious donors plasma going in and helping my body to be strong. It is saving my life - thank heaven! Now, don't think this all goes with happy pills. I get Tylenol and Benedryl to help ensure I do not have an allergic reaction - but it also helps me have a little nap during the treatment. I do love naps!

Dialysis - Well, find yourself a really old pickup, add a bumpy dirt road, sit in the back and tell your driver to hit it. Ok, ok, I'll let you start slowly, but eventually you're going to have to settle at a speed -- alright, I'll let you sit steady at 15 mph. Now just hang on for four hours. You can do it! Good luck!

So, I started writing this at the end of my treatment. I set it aside to finish it up here in my room and realized my eyes were swelling and itchy. I had my first allergic reaction to treatment. After all of my treatments to only just now have had my first has been impressive. Little Benedryl mixed with some steroids, and the hives, shortness of breath, swelling itchy eyes have started to reverse. I am OK.

Now I am back in my room getting one of two blood transfusions for today (ok, so one set of my numbers is down). They only take fours hours each, but Doug and I are gonna get out and get some fresh air in between them. Speaking of Doug, I am going to go and enjoy him. Have a great weekend.

Hugs to all, L

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing that in detail. I still cant imagine!! Okay, So I knew I liked you and loved that you were "drama" from the start but I think this one tops it! John and I hope to come visit you sometime when we get out your way. I hope that will be okay! You are such a fighter!! Hang in there! Oh, and so lucky you found Doug!! Cant wait to meet this super star!!
    xoxo Haley Dame

    ReplyDelete